Today is brought to you by the letter “K” and I choose for it to stand for “KINDNESS” as part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge.
My theme for this Challenge is depression and anxiety and all that goes with it.
When I first thought about writing this post, I was going to focus more on how it is so important when living with depression and anxiety, to be kind to yourself but after some thought, I decided to talk about how it is important to show kindness to other people. Did you know there is a random act of kindness day and it is being celebrated on November 13 this year? It also happens to fall on a Friday. I had no idea this day existed, let alone how widely it is celebrated. If you are interested in more info about random act of kindness day, it can be found here.
It doesn’t take much kindness to improve someone’s life. You would be surprised how a small, seemingly insignificant act of kindness can impact a stranger having a rough day. I know this because I have been on the receiving end and a little gesture can brighten an otherwise dark day. A good example of this is when I read your supportive comments on my posts 🙂
If you want to perform a random act of kindness then here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Clean up your community of trash (Spring cleaning)
- Take in the neighbour’s empty garbage pails when you get yours
- Pick up groceries for an elderly or sick neighbour
- Tell a store manager when you get really great service
- Offer to load heavy bags into someone’s car for them
- If you see someone who looks lost, ask them if they need help
- Say good day and smile to someone you pass on the street
- Tell someone how much they mean to you
No matter how crappy you might feel, try to pay it forward and make a small difference in someone’s life. Speaking of which, I also just found out it is Pay it Forward Day April 30th. Seize the day!